While entering a temple or a place of worship, one should follow the guidelines given below :
1. It is best to dress conservatively. Women should cover their heads with a shawl or a piece of cloth.
2. You should leave your shoes outside the temple. There is usually someone who will look after your shoes.
3. Smoking is strictly prohibited on the temple grounds.
4. Persons asking for donations or a fee to take photographs may approach you. do not blindly accept, that these persons are authorized.
5. Leather items should not be taken into a temple.
6. It is traditional to circle the temple, stupa or deities. This should always be done clockwise.
7. You should bow down to the deities with your left side to the deities, not your right side.
8. While walking in a crowded room you should not walk over people to get somewhere. This is considered extremely impolite.
9. While sitting in a temple, you should not point your legs towards the deities.
10.When you enter a temple, the temple pandas(Brahmin guides) may accost you and offer you a guided tour of the temple or some special parsad for a special donation. It is best to ignore them, as they can be a hindrance coming between your moments of prayer with God.